Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Fabulous G2


Last season Timothy Loughmiller Estate Solutions was contracted to host a sale in a nice little Oakville backsplit house. It was a nice sale with Mid Century furniture and accessories, and did very well. During my interview with the client, she informed me that her father's old broken stereo was in the basement, and that it didn't work well, and, that if it didn't sell, I could just place it at the curb. I examined the stereo, assured her I was certain I could sell it, and not to worry.

On the day of the sale people were lined up at the door to buy the stereo, one lady even flew in from Montreal and took a cab to the sale. The first person in line for the stereo bought the "old, broken stereo", sight unseen, later sending a friend to pick it up.

After the sale, when I told my client the stereo had sold, she was indeed surprised. But, when I told her how much I had gotten for her dad's "old, broken stereo" her face went pale and I thought she was going to faint. Little did she realize the gem she had in the basement, for, it was one of the famous Canadian-made Clairtone G2 stereos from the 1960's (endorsed at the time by none other than Old Blue Eyes Frank Sinatra himself), and worth thousands of dollars - and that's exactly what I sold it for, thousands of dollars.

Just to think, without my help, she would've placed it at the curb - what a garbage find that would've been!

No comments:

Post a Comment